This week, 14th – 20th March, marks safer sleep week – The Lullaby Trust’s national awareness campaign targeting parents and carers to raise awareness of SIDS and spread the safer sleep advice that reduces the risk. In support of the campaign, we’ve rounded up some of the proven advice to help your baby sleep safe and sound. We’ve also got some top tips to help you create the perfect sleep environment and some bedtime must-haves for your new baby.
We know that safe sleep can be one of the biggest concerns when you have your baby so we wanted to round up some of the advice to alleviate those worries. This advice should be followed day and night.
- Sleep position - You should always place your baby on their back to sleep, not on their front or side. Lay your baby with their feet to the bottom of their cot, crib or moses basket
- Sleep environment - For the first six months baby should sleep in the same room as you in a cot, moses basket or crib. Use a firm and flat mattress protected by a waterproof cover
- Clear, safe sleep space – Remove all soft toys, bumpers and bedding from your baby’s cot, crib or moses basket
- Bedding – Make sure your baby’s sheet and blanket are not above shoulder height and are firmly tucked in. Consider using a sleep bag and no other bedding
- Temperature – A room temperature of 16-20°C is comfortable and safe for sleeping babies. Consider using a room thermometer to monitor this
Safer sleep for your baby equals sounder sleep for you. So, follow the ABC’s of safer sleep and hopefully there will be more z’s for everyone! Always sleep your baby on their back in a clear cot or sleep space.
With all of this in mind, we’ve rounded up some of the perfect night-time products to create a safer sleep environment for your baby.
Cot, crib or moses basket
The Lullaby Trust advise that baby should sleep in the same room as you for the first six months in a safe space such as a cot, crib or moses basket with a flat firm mattress.
We love the SnuzPod4, one of our best-selling cribs, it features a ComfortAir breathable system and firm supportive mattress. Shop cribs here.
A baby sleeping bag is the perfect way to help your baby to keep their temperature regulated and keep their sleeping space free from unnecessary bedding.
Pramworld loves the Purflo Swaddle to sleep bag, it features hypoallergenic and sustainable properties for the healthiest sleep. Shop sleeping bags here.
Keeping your baby’s room between 16-20°C is important for safe sleep, a thermometer with a clear visual display can take the guessing out of your child safety and ensure peace of mind as new parents. Shop thermometers here.